Feedback Thoughts Articles

In this post I will be discussing two articles I found specifically about negative feedback. The two articles I chose to read were, "Why It’s So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback" and "How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk". I think that these are both really important as the emphasis effective ways of giving and taking negative feedback. I have been a person that always hated what I have known as "complement sandwiches" they made it hard for me to accept positive feedback because it seemed not genuine and used to 'soften the blow' of the negative. When the did that I would also hyper-focus on the negative comment therefore I would always be a wreck after being talked to. These articles mention being direct and using words that effectively convey that you are giving this negative feedback for the purpose of helping the other person set themselves up more for success. The feedback that always hit me the most and helped me to actually grow was when I was told what I could do better. Forget the sugar coating and glossing around the fact because it does not just muddle your message but also takes longer to get to the heart of the criticism. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/26/smarter-living/why-its-so-hard-to-hear-negative-feedback.html?auth=link-dismiss-google1tap

https://heleo.com/adam-grant-give-bad-feedback-without-jerk/8968/

Quote on Needing Feedback(Padlet)

Comments

Popular Posts