Microfictions: The Tiny Tiny Ghost Chronicles

The Un-lonely Little Ghost

The little ghost had always been lonely. Every day he would sit on the porch of a small worn down house waiting for anyone. He watched the children pretend to be ghosts, laughing and running from each house. Although he would never want anything bad to happen to the kids, he had always dreamt of a new friend. One day the strangest thing happened. A small boy with a sheet and cut-out eyes just like him ran out of a house, a car zooming towards him. The ghost yelled, but the car passed through the sheet-covered boy. A new friend. 

The New Little Ghost

The boy was cold, but he was covered by a thin white sheet. Confused the boy walked into the kitchen, his parents cooking breakfast and siblings fighting over the newly acquired chocolates. He assumed maybe he fell asleep in his costume and decided to scare his younger sisters. He stalked over to them and hid behind the couch. He yelled, popping up from behind it, but nothing. They couldn't see him. Scared he ran out his house and into the street. There was a yell and a car hit him, but felt no impact. Looking up he saw another sheet. 

Boy with Ghost Sheet Standing in Street (UnSplash)

Author's Note: I decided to write these little short stories as we head into fall and get closer to Halloween. I have grown very found of the classic sheet ghost costume as cute photoshoots have become quite popular. I wanted to tell the stories at 100 word length to really combine them, ending in the same spot at first meet. I thought that it would be nice to give the little ghost a friend and maybe he can help the new little ghost learn the ropes. 

Comments

  1. Hi, Keana! What a spooky pair of stories for October! I really enjoyed how you managed to link both stories together so they supported each other. I love the little ghost boy and his new friend, and this feels like start of a short story collection! I'd love to read more microfictions about their adventures after this as the older ghost mentors the younger one. I know it's hard to add more details with such limited words, but I was wondering why his family wasn't in mourning? Since it seems like he was newly dead. Thanks for writing these! I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Keana,
    It is finally time for some Halloween stories and I am loving it! I really like this story, it is short and sweet and easy to follow along to. I feel sad and happy for the little ghost, he just wanted a friend, but for him to get a friend he had to watch a poor little kid get leveled by a car. Did the family not know that their family member was just killed? Maybe you could add more details to that part of the story, but overall I thought you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Keana, I think your stories are really cute (and a bit sad). I really like them. I wonder what happened to the second ghost. Did he die in his sleep? Did something happen to him overnight? I think some details about how the kid dies may help add some context to the story. I feel bad for the kid, but hopefully his new friend is nice to him and shows him what it's like to be a ghost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Keana. Wow! I loved reading your stories. They were spooky and fun stories to read for the month of October. My favorite short story I read was, "The New Little Ghost." I thought it was creative and kind of creepy. I always get scared when I read spooky stories...ha! Is there anyway you can expand more on why the little ghost had always been lonely in your first story? I think that would give readers more detail about the little ghost's background. Overall, you did a great job. I enjoyed reading your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Keana!
    I really enjoyed your microfiction stories. I liked how you continued the second story from the second ghost’s point of view and connected the two stories. They have this kind of pensive tone, but with an optimistic view, if that makes sense. The ghosts are not characterized like a standard ghost: spooky and/or dreadful; instead, the ghosts have their own feelings and emotions. The theme of ghosts is perfect for this Halloween season! Awesome work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Keana! I love the idea of microfiction, and I love these spooky stories about ghosts! It is perfect for this time of year! I personally love ghost stories and have written a few myself! Did anything particular inspire these short stories or did they just come to you? I also think the name of the chronicles is so cute and clever!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts